Immigration law has constant modifications, exceptions and different applications for each case. With the advice of a qualified attorney, you will be prepared for any problem that may happen and that, due to misinformation, could become a reason for rejection or even denial.

Get advice from our expert team now. A mistake can cost you years.

Carlos Duque | Abogado de inmigración Miami

Schedule your appointment now

To get legal advice from one of our attorneys, you must schedule an appointment.

If you are in Miami, you will have a face-to-face interview with the attorney. If you live elsewhere, a video call is scheduled for the lawyer to review the details of the case and tell you the legal process to follow, times and costs.

If you decide to start your case with us, at DUQUE IMMIGRATION LAW, PLLC, we will support you through all the steps of your case: from the gathering and filing of the required documents until the moment you finally get your permanent residence.

Knowing all the details of each case, will enable us to prepare you for the required interview before the immigration authorities. This preparation will be very useful for you because you can rely on all our experience.

We work to give your story a happy ending.

Legal advice for filing a VAWA or U Visa petition

If you are seeking legal representation to file a VAWA or a U Visa petition consult your case with our team at DUQUE IMMIGRATION LAW, PLLC, immigration attorneys, by calling at


VAWA and U Visas

Immigration law gives special protection to those who have suffered the consequences of a multitude of crimes and violent acts (both physical and psychological). It is even possible that victims outside the United States may qualify for immigration benefits.

If you are a victim of any type of violence, you can consult with our team of attorneys. (Immigration Law Experts) to determine if you can get immigration benefits.

Below is more information about some of the protection programs for victims of crime and domestic violence that U.S. immigration law has:

Residence based on domestic violence or cruelty (VAWA)

The following relatives of U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents of that country may start an application for permanent residence, whether they live inside or outside the United States, provided they have been victims of domestic violence or cruelty at the hands of the citizen or resident, and some additional requirements are met:

  • Spouses: This category also benefits the victim’s children under the age of 21.
  • Children and stepchildren under 21: In some cases stepchildren can start the process of permanent residence until the age of 25.
  • Parents and Step-parents: as long as the abuser is more than 21 years old when the application for permanent residence is started.

If you are in the U.S. illegally, or have an impediment to obtaining legal status in the U.S., VAWA may have a legal instrument to solve these problems.

Visas U

An alien who has been the victim of certain crimes in the United States may obtain legal status in this country as long as he or she is cooperating with or willing to cooperate with justice. Almost always the crimes that qualify for U-Visa protection are those that involve violence. Additionally, the law only protects victims who can prove that they suffered severe physical or mental abuse.

The person applying for the U Visa may be in or outside the United States. People who have deportation orders can also apply, and even those who have legal impediments to obtaining visas.

DUQUE IMMIGRATION LAW, PLLC, has represented the interests of hundreds of people before U.S. Immigration Courts. Consult your case with us.

Ask for legal advice

Immigration Attorney